VICKS VAPORUB 50G
What is Vicks VapoRub?
Vicks VapoRub is a popular remedy for the symptoms of the common cold. It can help to relieve symptoms such as coughs, sore throat, catarrh, and congestion, helping you to breathe more easily. Vicks VapoRub can be used for children as young as 2, making it the perfect cold relief for all the family.
What symptoms will I experience when I have a cold?
When you have a cold, there are many common symptoms you may experience. They will usually clear up within a week or two and are nothing to worry about but can make you feel uncomfortable until your cold has passed. Some of the most common symptoms you may experience when you’ve got a cold include:
- Blocked nose
- Runny nose
- Sore throat
- Muscular aches
- Raised temperature or fever
- Loss of taste or smell
How will Vicks VapoRub relieve my cold symptoms?
Vicks VapoRub contains four active ingredients which all work to combat symptoms of colds, including congestion, coughs, and a sore throat. These ingredients are:
- Turpentine oil
- Eucalyptus oil
Levomenthol and camphor work to calm coughs, while levomenthol also works with eucalyptus oil to relieve congestion and a blocked nose. Eucalyptus oil also eases catarrh, ideal for those with chesty coughs.
Can I use this product if I’m pregnant or breastfeeding?
If you’re pregnant you should speak to your doctor or pharmacist before using this product. If you’re breastfeeding you should not use this product on your chest, there is a small chance it may affect your baby’s breathing.
How to use this product
You can use Vicks VapoRub as a rub or for inhalation, depending on which of your symptoms you wish to target.
- To use in adults as a rub: Rub liberally onto the chest, back, and throat, covering the whole area for best results. Leave your nightclothes loose so you can breathe the vapours in more easily
- To use in adults for inhalation: Place hot water into a bowl that’s suitable for inhalation, and melt two teaspoons Vicks VapoRub in the bowl of hot water. Keeping enough distance from the bowl to avoid burning your face from the steam, inhale the vapours from the mixture for 10 - 15 minutes
- To use in children over 2 as a rub: Rub liberally onto the chest, back, and throat, covering the whole area for best results. Leave your nightclothes loose so they can breathe the vapours in more easily
- Do not use this product for inhalation in children under 12
When should Vicks VapoRub not be used?
Vicks VapoRub is not suitable for use by children under the age of 2. Do not use this product for inhalation in children under the age of 12. Do not use this product if you are allergic to any of the listed ingredients. Do not bandage areas treated with this product tightly and do not use with a heat wrap. Speak to your doctor or pharmacist before using this product if you have a history of airway disease or asthma. Do not apply Vicks VapoRub to:
- Broken skin
- Mucous membranes
Does Vicks VapoRub have side effects?
Like all medicines, Vicks VapoRub can have side effects, although not everyone will experience them. These side effects include:
- Redness or irritation of the skin
- Irritation of the eyes
- Allergic reactions
- Burns at the site of application